7 Great Ways to Love Your Spouse
Marriage is great. It's certainly not easy, but it's wonderful all the same. I find that it's easy to forget to intentionally love the people that I'm closest to - my husband being at the top of that list. He knows I love him, right? Well, yes, he probably does. But it's important to tell him, not just with words, but also with actions. So I've compiled a list of some of the best ways to show your spouse you're still crazy about them. Commencing list.
- Grace :: When he makes mistakes (and he will, just as you will), give him grace and view his journey from a 30k ft view. Keep in mind that he's becoming the man he's meant to be (which means he's not there yet).
- Guy Time :: Give him freedom to have guy time. You can't do everything or be everything for him. He needs guys in his life too!
- Splurge together :: Don't only encourage healthy food (although eating healthy is great!). Encourage balance and give him space to eat things he enjoys.
- Sacrifice :: Do something or make something he loves that's not your jam. I'm often the grocery shopper and cook in the house (though this is shifting a bit as I'm starting this business), and my tendency is to buy foods that I want to eat, and not to splurge on my husband's favorites. But I know he appreciates it when I pick out something that only he would want. (Simple example, I know. But you get my point.)
- Adventure together :: Getting outside your everyday routine is wonderful. It's good to have moments where you step out of your comfort zone together. It builds trust, gives you shared experiences, and helps you learn new things about each other. And it's just refreshing.
- Study him :: Learn his love languages and his personality type. I've found personality tests to be pretty insightful to learn about not only my tendencies, but also my husband's. We recently discovered our enneagram type (I am a 9 and my man is a 5). In learning about the 5, I found out he would prefer to have a bit of time & space to decompress when he comes home from work. Where as I (having a lot of alone time most days) am ready to talk to him as soon as he walks in the house. This is something he has adjusted to, but didn't necessarily enjoy. And I hadn't really thought about it. I'm happy to see my husband when he gets home from work, but it's not actually a big deal to give him space before telling him about my day. Something small and simple that I can give him is a little space to unwind by himself.
- Laugh together :: Be silly and let your quirkiness shine through. I'm convinced that this is one of the best ways to grow closer together. Being silly together often involves vulnerability, which is so, so important in marriage. And laughing is just good for the soul.
So there you have it. 7 ways to love your spouse. It's certainly not an all-inclusive list. I'd love to hear your ideas too! Having a healthy marriage is hard work. But it can empower us to go out and be a confident world-changer as we walk assured of the love we have at home. Empower your man to be a world-changer today!